Saturday, April 18, 2009

Smile 0 yen @ Japanese McDonalds

Japanese McDonalds has “smile” on their menu. It’s free. Coke: 100 yen, French fries: 180 yen, and Smile: 0 yen. You can order a smile of the McDonald staffs as a side menu of the value meal.

It’s quite awkward to order like “One happy set with extra cheese and smile.” So I have never tried to order it nor have my proper friends. I don’t know what happens if you order ten smiles; whether ten staffs come to smile at you or one staff smiles at you ten times.

I don’t know if other countries’ McDonalds have smile on their menu boards. At least Indian McDonalds doesn’t have this menu. So this feature could be only for Japanese market.

You might say staffs in McDonalds smiles all the time without you ordering, or Japanese people always smile to anyone anytime. I thought so too. But not any more. Japanese McDonald staffs didn’t smile when I went back to Japan two months back. The shop was empty, but they had I-don’t-have-no-extra-energy-to-smile-in-my-life faces. It must be tough to live in Japan now.

On the other hand, Indian McDonalds staffs are very powerful now. Always smiling, shout orders loudly, even though they are very busy to deal with a long line of customers in front of the cash counter. Staffs are young, looking proud of being a part of a big economic growth of India. They say “Have a nice meal! Please visit again!!” So I feel good and I visit again. An easy customer.

No comments:

Post a Comment